Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) for packaging is a new piece of UK Government legislation that requires producers (brands) to be responsible for the costs of recycling their post-consumer packaging.
This is part of the Government’s continued drive to reduce the amount of single use packaging, and the aim for EPR is to encourage businesses to use packaging that is widely collected from households for recycling.
This will create a more circular economy and is designed to require that “producers” of packaging take responsibility for the environmental impact of the packaging that they put into the UK marketplace. It will also ensure that businesses contribute towards the cost of collection, disposal and recycling of the packaging when it becomes waste. The financial obligations will come into effect during 2025.
This new legislation replaces the current Packaging Recovery Note system.
You may need to act if your business does any of the following activities:
- Supply packaged goods to the UK market under your own brand name or identity
- Place goods into packaging that is unbranded when it is supplied into the UK market
- Import products to the UK in packaging
- Own an online marketplace
- Hire or loan out reusable packaging
- Supply empty packaging
What do you need to do?
Your business will have a packaging waste obligation if ALL of the following points apply:
- Your business has an annual turnover of over £1 million, AND
- You have a physical presence in the UK, AND
- Your business handles more than 25 tonnes of packaging, and/or packaging materials.
Large vs Small Organisations
The EPR will be determined whether your business fall into one of two categories, Large or Small Organisations.
Organisations will be fully obligated within the regulations if they meet or exceed the threshold of:
- An annual turnover of £2 million or more, AND
- 50 tonnes or more of packaging supplied to the UK market per year.
A new lower threshold will obligate smaller businesses at:
- An annual turnover of £1 million or more, AND
- 25 tonnes or more packaging supplied to the UK market per year.
Important information we need about your business:
As a wholesale packaging supplier, DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) have obligated us to advise them on what categories our customers fall into for EPR.
We will shortly be contacting our customers to ask which type of producer they are:
- Large Organisation
- Small Organisation
- Not Applicable
For further guidance, please visit the official Gov.uk site to read Extended producer responsibility for packaging: who is affected and what to do
Contact us about Extended Producer Responsibility for packaging. Call us on 01935 474 217 or email [email protected]